First of all, thank you for remembering when you first started with PIX appliances...
I recently purchased a pre-owned PIX 506 running software version 5.1(2). I am currently unable to upgrade this software since I do not have the apprpriate 'service contract', so I am stuck with this software version.
Although I did receive the manual 'Configuration Guide for the Cisco PIX Firewall Version 5.1', I am a bit lost with this firewall.
ADSL Router (ISP Provided) =>PIX=>Switch=>Network
Static External IP assigned by ISP:18.104.22.168
1) The 'inside' interface should be a LAN assigned IP? (Ex. 192.168.254.3)
2) What should the 'outside' interface be set to?
So I should set the following:
1) Inside Interface IP: 192.168.254.2
2) Outside Interface IP: 192.168.254.3
- No. The outside interface and inside interface cannot be in same subnet. You should use 22.214.171.124 on the outside interface of PIX and connect the outside interface to the ADSL modem.
3) PIX Gateway IP:192.168.254.1 (since this is the LAN IP of the router)
- Not sure where is this router placed. Is your ISP terminating currently on this router? What type of connection do you have .. PPPoE/PPPoA/DSL etc?
Also, it seems that you already have a network setup with ISP terminating on the router and internal network connected to the 192.168.254.1 interface. Now you are trying to place a PIX in between. Let me know if this is the situation.