cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-Site VPN Hardware recommendations

citnetworks
Level 1
Level 1

I want to set up a VPN site-to-site network over the internet. The host site has a fractional T1 for internet access. There are 11 remote sites with no growth expected over the next several years. The remote sites have either cable or DSL internet. I wanted to find out if the Cisco 1811 router could be used at the host site to provide the common VPN endpoint for all the remotes and if the Cisco-Linksys BEFSX41 could be used at the remotes. If the Linksys could not be used would an 800 series router suffice?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

4 Replies 4

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sean,

1811 router would suffice for 11 remote sites and 800 series routers for the remote ends.

If you are looking for firewall option on the hub site then get an ASA5505. It can support upto 10 by default but a license upgrade can get you upto 25 VPN tunnels.

Hope this answers your queries.

Rate the post, if it helps.

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Thanks and thank you for pointing out the ASA5500 series. I would very much like to roll up the firewall and router into one device and this looks like the perfect fit for only a little extra $.

Do you know if the Linksys router will work with this? I think we will purchase this and try it. If they don't I will go with an 800 series for the remotes.

Thanks for your time.

Sean

Sean,

It does work - but I have seen on google blogs, etc...about some issues with IPSec SA/ tunnel negotiation on some of linksys products.

Murphy's law holds true in many cases. :)

Rate this post, if it helped.

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Thanks again. Appreciate the help.

Sean