Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing useing eigrp

xbaha12345
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have 4 dsl lines that my ISP was able to load balance using per session load balancing with EIGRP.

anyway, i asked my ISP to blalnce per packet, he replied that it's not possible with because i am using dialers(because i am using DSL, he said i must use ATM or frame relay) i want to know if it's true or not, it doesnt seem to be logical to me.

also, if anyone has expeariance about per packet eigrp load balancing please let me know.

thank

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Friend

I pretty much confident that you can do per packet loadbalancing with EIGRP.

CEF by default runs per destination and this can be changed to per packet. EIGRP is responsible for creating the routing table and CEF takes care of the switching either per packet or per destination.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrpfaq.shtml#fifteen

I dont think there shoould be a problem running the same on dialers.

I think if you are able to execute the command under the interface, it should support

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

One thing i would add about per-packet load-sharing.

It will load balance more evenly across the links than per dsetination load balancing but the packets could well arrive out of order due to each packet taking a different path. Also if you were doing any kind of filtering this could also be affected by per packet load sharing.

These may not be issues for you but they are worth bearing in mind.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card