cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN over fiber

MZydorczyk2
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up SPAN over fiber. I have the server that I want to do the monitoring for a switch port. I am trying to get the tx and rx of a port and send it to the server. Since the link i am monitoring is over fiber i connected the link from the destination port to the server with 2 tx's because all i want to do is get the traffic that the source port is collecting and i am using 2 tx's because with the link i am monitoring being a 1Gbps that means 1G tx 1G rx. I only have the 2 tx's hooked to a fiber nic's rx ports (it has 2 tx/rx). but i get no link. will just plugging in the the other connections on the cable to the tx ports on the nic solve this to get a actual link?

sorry this is so confusing. please ask if you need more clarification or more specific questions. thanks alot.

8 Replies 8

Hi

could you put this into a diagram?

thx

Here is the diagram.

I put up a diagram if anyone to look at to help me solve my problem. Thanks.

Hi

do you get a tx signal out each fiber core on the last patch panel before your monitor?

If not trace back along each pp to see where it broke; could be patch cords? or fiber cores?

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks

Yes I am getting the light through the cable fine. Is it possible to do this though, that is, use one fiber cable and send 2 tx over it instead of 1 tx 1 rx? Would it still create a connection if the recieves are not plugged in even though both tx's are going to both rx's on the end point?

Hi

In my opinion, since this is optics you should be able to read data of the fiber (i.e. monitor)

In this setup you have;

Switch Monitor

tx rx

rx tx (not connected)

tx rx

rx tx (not connected)

Thanks

are you suggesting that?

This is the scenario that i believe should allow the monitor to pickup data. If this is'nt what you have :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: