Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Filter to change doamins

Hi,

I need to find a means to change the domains for 15 accounts, so if a mail for one of these persons comes in with personx@domainX it needs to be changed to personx@domainY. Is it possible to create a filter to do this? I tried to construct a filter with alt-rcpt-to, but then I have to list them all, or can I use some variable for this?

Thx in advance for your help

8 Replies 8

For a temp solution I have done the same thing for about 20 users. One content filter for each one.

For a temp solution I have done the same thing for about 20 users. One content filter for each one.

jaigill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may setup aliases if your message filter is getting too bulky. Aliases may be setup via CLI command 'aliasconfig'.

ironport.com> aliasconfig

No aliases in table.

Choose the operation you want to perform:
- NEW - Create a new entry.
- IMPORT - Import aliases from a file.
[]> new

How do you want your aliases to apply?

1. Globally
2. Add a new domain context
[1]>

Enter the alias(es) to match on.
Separate multiple aliases with commas.
Allowed aliases:
- "user@domain" - This email address.
- "user" - This user for any domain.
- "@domain" - All users in this domain.
- "@.partialdomain" - All users in this domain, or any of its sub domains.
[]> user@domain.com

Enter address(es) for "user@domain.com".
Separate multiple addresses with commas.
[]> user@newdomain.com

Adding alias user@domain.com: user@newdomain.com
Do you want to add another alias? [N]>

There are currently 1 mappings defined.

Choose the operation you want to perform:
- NEW - Create a new entry.
- EDIT - Modify an entry.
- DELETE - Remove an entry.
- PRINT - Display the table.
- IMPORT - Import aliases from a file.
- EXPORT - Export table to a file.
- CLEAR - Clear the table.
[]>

ironport.com> commit

Please enter some comments describing your changes:
[]> Added alias entry

Changes committed: Mon Apr 02 15:59:37 2007 PDT

You may setup aliases if your message filter is getting too bulky. Aliases may be setup via CLI command 'aliasconfig'. 

I just wonder, how many lines that aliasconfig could handle on a X1000?
at what numbers that it will slow down the performance, AFAIK the aliasconfig like this will be read sequentially, line by line.

TIA.

Corey_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

At one point, we had several hundred aliases and there was no noticeable degradation in performance.

I just wonder, how many lines that aliasconfig could handle on a X1000?
at what numbers that it will slow down the performance, AFAIK the aliasconfig like this will be read sequentially, line by line.

TIA.

X1000 is a pretty beefy box and I would not expect any performance degradation there. I have seen customer configurations with quite large alias tables. You are right, it will be read from top to bottom.

shannon.hagan
Level 1
Level 1

Where I work we have 2 external domains; however, only one internal domain - we use aliasconfig and map the whole external domain to the internal domain - you don't have to put in an entry for each user if all of the users in the domain get rewritten.

We used masquerading under listenerconfig. We needed to change the entire email address not just the domain. There is an import feature which I used a text file listing each user's sending email address in the left column and the conversion email address in the right column. Just remember to append any new conversions after your existing one, because the system will include only the information in the import file. You can do this by exporting what is in the system and adding any new, then import back in. The advanced user's guide has a great section on this that I was able to follow.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: