Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoView - incorrect interface status shown

mwynen
Level 1
Level 1

Hy.

For all the C4500 modules the Interface status seems to be displayed incorrrectly.

Status 'Up' is shown as 'Up', but status 'Down' is shown as 'Fail' and 'Administratively Down' is shown as 'Down'.

This happens with all of our C2950, C3550, C3560 and C4506. But NOT with our C2948, C2980, C4006, C6509 and C6513.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for this behaviour and how I could fix that issue?

Thank you.

Marc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The "Fail" display is expected behavior for the switches in question (i.e all IOS switches). The idea here is that a port that is admin up but operationally down has failed in some way (i.e. this is not a desired state). For access layer switches, this may not be ideal, but this is not likely to change.

A request to change this was filed as CSCin77629, but this was closed. Since IOS switches use the IF-MIB for port state, operationally down is assumed to be a failure. CatOS switches, on the other hand, support the portOperStatus object which has a majorFault value. When CiscoView detects a majorFault, it will then mark the port as red.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The "Fail" display is expected behavior for the switches in question (i.e all IOS switches). The idea here is that a port that is admin up but operationally down has failed in some way (i.e. this is not a desired state). For access layer switches, this may not be ideal, but this is not likely to change.

A request to change this was filed as CSCin77629, but this was closed. Since IOS switches use the IF-MIB for port state, operationally down is assumed to be a failure. CatOS switches, on the other hand, support the portOperStatus object which has a majorFault value. When CiscoView detects a majorFault, it will then mark the port as red.

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco