Because I'm sure that Cisco product is better than D-link I need

your help to solve this problem.

Regards,

Yahya

3 Replies 3

bstremp
Level 2
Level 2

One possible reason that I can think of is radio frequency interference. There could be some other wireless device in the same frequency range that is intefering with your RF signal. The reason that the other AP works is that it may be using a different frequency range.

Hi Bstremp,

Actually what i did is I configured the AP to use the least congested channel so it can't be an interference problem.

Thank you,

Yahya

It can ALWAYS be an interference problem. Interference (and multipath) is #1 for "Why doesn't my AP work well."

While "auto" functions occasionally / frequently work well, your best practice to make sure you're getting optimal performance is to set it up manually.

Download and run NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com - it's free) and see what the interference and channel usage is for your coverage zone.

Choose a channel from 1, 6, or 11 (assuming you're using 802.11g) that shows the least activity (with your AP powered off) and interference.

There is *no way*, given proper setup, that a consumer-grade AP will outperform the Cisco APs (any of them) ... none, zero, zip, nada... the specs on the Cisco radios are among the best in the industry, and certainly well-ahead of SOHO units.

You should also verify that "Diversity" was enabled on the Cisco AP, it's very important, especially in "hard" environments with a lot of multipath.

At the frequencies that these APs are operating, it only takes movement of a couple cm to go from a really crappy signal to a really good one (signal quality is more important than signal strength).

What versions of hardware, firmware, and client software were you using?

Let us know ...

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card