cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877w ADSL line resets - possible solution.

lwahlers
Level 1
Level 1

We recently purchased a Cisco 877W for our office, this replaced the 2610 we had there for over 2 years.

The 2610 has always worked flawlessly with any ADSL broadband provider. The 877W however has been shutting down and bringing up the ADSL port on an irregular basis with an audible 'click' coming from the router, making it unusable over the last 2 days.

I changed the micro-filter, adjusted settings on the router such as dsl operating mode and a few other things, all of which I can't quite remember now.

What eventually did solve it for me was the upgrade from "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T.bin" to the version 12.4(9)T "c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T.bin".

Before upgrading I also noticed that the original file 12.4(4)T did not have any date & time stamp like all the other files in the directory structure.

(router#dir).

This might have been a corrupt upload by the previous owner.

Whatever the cause, the new file displays the way it should in the directory.

Since then I have had 1 DSL activation (router#sh dsl atm 0) over the past 24 hours where previously I had about 10 to 20 per hour.

I understand that this is not going to be the ultimate solution for everybody, but it might be a starting point.

3 Replies 3

jcorrale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lutz,

The 877 has a newer DSL firmware built-in and I?ve seen some issues with the old firmwares on IOS codes 12.4(1), 12.4(2)T and 12.4(4)T. I?ve seen incompatibility issues against some DSLAMs like Nokia, Motorola, Versatel and other untested devices. Check the DSLAM INTEROPERABILITY section (Table 8):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

In order to resolve these issues, Cisco has worked on creating new DSL firmwares and integrate them into the latest IOS codes. The newest available is 3.0.14, which you can find it in 12.4(11)XJ code. Here is a good document to check xDSL firmware integration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_bulletin0900aecd801d5c4c.html

Try to install 12.4(11)XJ and test your router with the latest DSL firmware available.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Juan

Thanks Juan.

That explains why my router was playing up. I usually only upgrade as a last resort since I have faith in the funcionality of Cisco Software.

In this case it definitely worked.

You are welcome Lutz. I am glad it helped you understanding better xDSL firmware and IOS.

Regards,

Juan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card