Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and VRRP Question

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Is there any limitation to the number of routers which I can configure in an HSRP or VRRP group? How many can I configure in one group and do redundancy between?

Regards,

Haitham

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Haitham,

As far as HSRP is concerned I do not think there is any limitation on the number of routers in same group. Not very sure for VRRP.

You can have as many routers in one group as you want, but only two will be sending out HSRP hellos to the HSRP multicast address (the active and standby routers). All other 'inactive' routers in the standby group will LISTEN to the hellos but will not be sending. As soon as the other 'inactive' routers hear only one hello (when either the active or standby goes down) the 'inactive' router with the highest priority becomes the new standby (because if the active router goes down the previous standby becomes active and the inactive router becomes the standby or if the previous standby goes down the inactive router becomes the standby). Either way, the inactive router in the standby group with the highest priority becomes the standby router.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi

in addition to the Ankur post;

for HSRP this can also be platform specific as well as the Technology; e.g like 6509 w/ Sup2/PFC2/MSFC2 max. groups is 16 while all others Sups is 256.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card