Hierarchy of becoming CCIE.

Unanswered Question
Mar 22nd, 2007

Hi...

I have already done my CCNA. My goal is to achieve CCIE. What is the exact hierarchy of doing CCIE. What are the certifications that have to be taken for doing CCIE. Please reply....

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cfolkerts Thu, 03/22/2007 - 07:58

The CCIE does not have any prerequisites for achieving certification. One could go straight to CCIE without a CCNA,CCNP, etc. My advice would be to finsish the professional level track (CCNP, CCVP, CCSP, etc.) and then move on to the CCIE of choice.

654321ram Fri, 03/23/2007 - 05:06

k. Thanks. Another question. I basically want to go into design track. Will doing CCDA and CCDP be useful. Please reply.....

654321ram Fri, 03/23/2007 - 10:49

I saw in TCPmag.com. There it was written like doing CCNA->CCNP->CCDP->CCIE is the ideal route. Firstly I am a working in a company in which I see a lot of topologies with different devices. I find it difficult to configure devices and thats the reason I want to study the design of networks. So, Is there any other way I can be aware of networking devices and topologies. Please reply.

swmorris Sun, 03/25/2007 - 09:37

No matter how much you study, you'll never be aware of EVERYTHING out there! One step at a time. :)

If you saw that progression on TCPMag, it's likely it was in one of my articles (don't remember that one off the top of my head though!). But when looking at certifications, it's typically best to target the things we need to know for the certification.

The rest is fluff. Well... At least as far as your certification is concerned it is. For your job, it may be incredibly useful, and therefore very good to pick up, but look at the things that are needed and when they are needed to learn.

The certification paths that Cisco lays out are a good path towards all of the basics. Anything else while important, builds on these basics.

The more stuff you do, the more experience will come with it. But no matter where you are in your learning, be aware that there will be things you don't know or simply haven't looked at yet!

Even I run into that now and then! :)

Scott (CCIEx4 #4713, JNCIE #153)

[email protected]

654321ram Sun, 03/25/2007 - 09:48

Thank you. I think CCIE R&S covers almost all the protocols for eg... BGP, MPLS. These are the protocols that are run in every high-end networking environment. I guess the ones that are left uncovered maybe storage systems... I am not sure. But still becoming a CCIE is my ultimate goal.

swmorris Sun, 03/25/2007 - 16:01

That's why there are multiple tracks of CCIE, and why you would select one that seems to make the most sense for you, your knowledge, and business need along the way!

Routing & Switching certainly covers the "normal" enterprise focussed things

Service Provider on the other hand covers the SP topics

Security focussed on exactly what it says!

Storage may be a target for you if the SAN arena is something you work with

Voice, of course, covers the IP Communications technologies

and others may be forthcoming. But pick whichever makes sense for you! (Or get more than one, they're fun!)

Scott

654321ram Mon, 03/26/2007 - 00:38

Thank you. Let me go ahead with R&S.

Thank you for the information.

Actions

This Discussion