cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH 7961

smuneio
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to SSH into a Cisco 7961. Obviously I need a user name and password but I don't know where it needs to be setup. There is no option in the phones config. I am running SCCP version 8-0-4SR3AS

2 Replies 2

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

CM 5 and later have nice section in the CCMAdmin device settings to set an ssh user and password for 3rd gen phones.

If you don't want to reset the phone and are using CM 4.x however you can use the method below.

PuTTY? freeware Windows client:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------

To generate a public/private key pair:

Download and then Launch puttygen.exe

It should default to SSH-2 RSA, 1024 bits, which will work.

Click "Generate"

Move the mouse around in the blank area to generate "randomness" as instructed Edit the "Key comment", to work with the IP Phone SSH key with the value

-> default@cisco"

add a "Key passphrase" and "Confirm passphrase", i.e. cisco123 Click "Save private key" and provide a filename for this key. It will later be referenced by PuTTY?.

Create a text file called authorized_keys and open it in notepad Copy the entire text from the section titled "Public key for pasting into OpenSSH? authorized_keys file"

and paste it into the file just created and opened in notepad and then save it Now copy that file on to the call manager TFTP server .

Now this key should be active and ready for use. To open an SSH session to the phone using this key with PuTTY?:

Launch PuTTY?

In the Connection -> SSH -> Auth section, click "Browse", find the private key file you previously saved and choose it.

In the Connection -> Data section, enter 'default' for the "Auto-login username:"

In the Session section, enter the IP address of the phone To save these parameters for re-use, enter a Name for this profile in the "Saved Sessions" box and click the "Save" button.

Click "Open" at the bottom of the PuTTY? window.

After 10-15 secs, you should get a passphrase prompt (if you entered one for the key). Enter it (i.e. cisco123) If all is successful, you should get a login: prompt.

login with the username -> default and the password -> user.

At this point, you can now login to the phone with UN/PW default/user.

You should then get a % prompt.

Courtesy of ryan from TAC

Gonz,

How do you find help for commands available in the CLI of the phone ? Use a "?"..

Great post..my 5 points for you on this one!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: