cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP, WLC RF management

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at the LWAPPs and was curious if manual RF management is possible? I ask because i am concerned about the possibility of an automatic process extending a cell to the outside of my physical facility. I am not by any means referring to possible overlapping of cells, my concern is simply around the system pushing the cell size to extend beyond the physical site thus exposing the network to a higher risk.

My readings seem to harp on the automatic recovery if an AP should fail.. This is an excellent feature to ensure up time. However in certain situations i see an AP increasing in power to compensate for a failed AP and going across the parking lot...

So simple question, with LWAPP can you have manual RF settings per AP?

I know Huffman will read this, so hey bud! =P

1 Reply 1

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

Robert:

You can manage both RF channel and power settings for individual LWAPs manually.

Typically, Cisco does not encourage this but it can be done.

Also, you can have some LWAPs be automatic and others be manual.

Drill down into an AP entry and click on the WLC and click on the config link.

You will see dropdowns that permit you to force the RF power and/or channel settings manually.

Note: Instead of the mWatt or dBi settings that you may be used to seeing in the autonomous version of the APs, the power settings will have a value of "1" for full power, "2" for half power, "3" for 1/4 power, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

- John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: