cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Design Question - Failover -Primary and Secondary seperated by WAN

mdury
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 data centers curently. The Data centers have a DS3 connection. Is it Possible to have our Primary Unity Server in NJ and the secondary in PA? We have CM subscribers at both sites, and exchange message stores as well. Has anyone done this, even if it may be unsupported>?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will work, however it is not officially supported. Cisco Unity design states that you need 100 Mb link between all Unity servers.

"Messaging Failover

There are two types of failover available with Cisco Unity. Both types require access to the same messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components. There is local failover, in which both the primary and secondary failover servers are co-located in the same physical site as the messaging system they service. There is also remote failover, where the primary and secondary failover servers are located in separate physical sites. In a remote failover configuration, the network connectivity should be no less than 100 Mbps between the sites, and the messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components must be accessible by both Cisco Unity servers. (Note that messaging infrastructure components include domain controllers and/or directory servers, global catalog servers, and name resolution hosts.) Regardless if your network connectivity bandwidth is at or greater than 100 Mbps, the response time between the Cisco Unity server and the Exchange servers it is connected to should be no more than a 40-millisecond round trip delay in order for Cisco Unity to service subscriber TUI requests normally."

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/design/udg/network.pdf

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Michael, My environment is pretty much similar to yours except I only have one Exchange server at the Corp data center. I have my Primary Unity server and Exchange message store located at the Corporate data center in CA and the failover Unity server is located at our DR location in TX and all is working like a charm. The only issue that I have seen so far is that when I am on the failover server in TX there is a delay when users access their voicemail. And I am running Unity 4.0.3.

And one thing you need to be aware is the round trip latency between two locations can not exceed 40ms.

Danny

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will work, however it is not officially supported. Cisco Unity design states that you need 100 Mb link between all Unity servers.

"Messaging Failover

There are two types of failover available with Cisco Unity. Both types require access to the same messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components. There is local failover, in which both the primary and secondary failover servers are co-located in the same physical site as the messaging system they service. There is also remote failover, where the primary and secondary failover servers are located in separate physical sites. In a remote failover configuration, the network connectivity should be no less than 100 Mbps between the sites, and the messaging systems and messaging infrastructure components must be accessible by both Cisco Unity servers. (Note that messaging infrastructure components include domain controllers and/or directory servers, global catalog servers, and name resolution hosts.) Regardless if your network connectivity bandwidth is at or greater than 100 Mbps, the response time between the Cisco Unity server and the Exchange servers it is connected to should be no more than a 40-millisecond round trip delay in order for Cisco Unity to service subscriber TUI requests normally."

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/design/udg/network.pdf

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: