cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 Partitioning/ Masking 10 digit to 4 digit

mdury
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 10 digit Unity Mailboxes. Is there any way to set up a call handler/subscriber box that would prefix 6 digits. Our users want to be able to dial another user from the Auto attendant by entering 4 digits. I understand that Unity is not a Tenant based system, but I was hoping there might be some creative solution somewhere

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The easiest way to handle this is to provide alternate extensions (4 digits) to your users - then nothing else needs to be done.

If you have a more complex situation where the 4 digit extensions are not unique then you'll have to get a little fancier. If you are running 4.2(1), there is a prefix capability on call handlers that's exposed in BulkEdit - you can indicate what digits should be tacked on to the begining of a string when a user dials an extension from that particular call handler - then you can setup different handlers with different prefixes for different regions (or however you have your directory configured).

Versions of Unity prior to 4.2(1) don't have this ability - you may need to apply an ES to get this in 4.2 I believe, I'll have to check the notes if you need to go down this route.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The easiest way to handle this is to provide alternate extensions (4 digits) to your users - then nothing else needs to be done.

If you have a more complex situation where the 4 digit extensions are not unique then you'll have to get a little fancier. If you are running 4.2(1), there is a prefix capability on call handlers that's exposed in BulkEdit - you can indicate what digits should be tacked on to the begining of a string when a user dials an extension from that particular call handler - then you can setup different handlers with different prefixes for different regions (or however you have your directory configured).

Versions of Unity prior to 4.2(1) don't have this ability - you may need to apply an ES to get this in 4.2 I believe, I'll have to check the notes if you need to go down this route.

Wow, I need to figure out how to upgrade from 4.0.5 to 4.2.1 . Thanks for your Help

Jeff,

We have just upgraded to Unity version = 4.2(1.0)No patches installed. Can you tell me how to implement this digit prefixing mentioned in this thread. Thanks

Was implementation guidance ever provided? I also would like to allow users to dial only 4 digits and reach 7 digit extensions. I looked into the BulkEdit tool per the advice in this thread and only found edit transfer options for subscribers, not call handlers.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This feature was first introduced in Cisco Unity 4.2(1) as an Engineering Special (ES) see CSCse16249. The latest ES for 4.2(1) that contains this feature is 4.2(1)ES79

In Unity 4.2(1) you must have the latest version of Bulk Edit, and you must also have this ES installed in order for the pre/post pend digits option to show up in the Bulk Edit Utility.

With this ES installed, if callers enters a call handler that has pre/post digits configured the system will first attempt to find a matching subscribers dtmf id based off of what the caller dialed, and if no match, it will look for a matching subscriber id with the pre/post digits appended/pre-pended.

You can not see the pre-post pend digits in the Unity SA, you can only set the pre/post pend digits via Bulk Edit. If you have a secondary failover server you may have to run Bulk Edit on the secondary failover server too and configure the pre/post pend digits.

If a subscribers dtmf id was 2062563124 and a call handler was configured to pre-pend 206256, a caller could dial 3124 and the system would pre-pend 2062256 to the 3124 the caller dialed, and find a match.

Note this only works for auto attendant calls that hit a call handler that is configured to prepend or postpend digits to the number the caller dialed. It does not allow subscribers to log in to their mailbox (and in this case) address a message to 3124 as apposed to 2062563124.

Hope that helps get you going.

Unfortunately, No.

Jeff

I need EXACTLY this for an account and numerous people have told me its not possible. They have a 9 digit dial plan, the first 4 digits being a "Zone Code" and the 5 digit extensions are not unique. Would your solution then allow them from a mobile phone for example, dial into UNITY externally and enter their own 5 digit extension number, even though it is not unique

regards Steve Metcalfe (Cisco)

Thanks for the replies, I checked for CSCse16249 and got as close as Cscsb16249, which had nothing to do with this thread. Do I need to look somewhere other than the Bug ToolKit?

Also, I looked for Unity 4.2(1)ES79 and could only find 4.2(1)ES83. The 4.2(1)ES83 release notes mention "CSCsh61717: Extension Remapping now allows overlapping dial plan as long as ports are distinct." but nothing about call handler digit pre-pending.

I have BulkEdit 4.0.100 and Unity 4.2(1) with ES83 and still do not have the call handler digit pre-pending options described in this thread.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Yeah, CSCse16249 will not show up in Bug Toolkit since it does not contain a Release-Note. This is probably because it was an urgent feature request done for a very large customer deployment and not an actual defect.

With the release of Cisco Unity 5.0(1), the feature will be generally available, and you will be able to access/administer it via the Unity SA if enabled in the Advanced Settings Tool.

For now, you will have to request ES79 from TAC. ES's are not necessarily all inclusive. So ES83 does not contain the bug fixes (or this feature) which are part of ES79.

As a side note, the only time an ES includes fixes from earlier ES's is if the fix was in the same file.

Hi Stephen, the pre/post digit feature is only for auto attendant scenarios. So no, it would not help with the subscriber sign in issue you describe.

I am curious as to why the Alternate Extension functionality does not work for them? If they enter their mobile phone numbers as "Alternate Extensions", when they call Unity from the mobile device, they should only be prompted to enter their password, and even that can be disabled too, to where they are automatically in their mailbox.

Is there some reason this does not work out for them?

Chris

Yes this should work for them, I think they would like the ability to dial in from any phone and not have to enter the full nine digit number. Personally, I dont think this is acheivable