Change port speed

Answered Question
Mar 22nd, 2007

On a 1841 how do I change the WAN port to no flow control, full duplex & 10Mbps? I have a Hateris w/10Mbps DIA that the vendor says need to be connected to the router this way.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 9 years 8 months ago

interface ..

speed 10

duplex full

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Richard Burts Thu, 03/22/2007 - 18:58

Eric

Some clarification of your question would help us to find better answers for you. When you talk about an 1841 WAN port I am not clear whether you are talking about one of the builtin FastEthernet interfaces as the WAN or are talking about one of the optional network modules in one of the available slots. If it is a network module then what kind or is it the FastEthernet?

Speed is likely to be easy and the mechanics of how to set it will depend on what kind of interface or module we are dealing with. Duplex will also probably depend on what kind of interface or module. The no flow control is a bit of a puzzle. I associate flow control more with async interfaces and I am not sure that we are dealing with async here.

Perhaps if you clarify the environment a bit we can find some answers.

HTH

Rick

russelllv Fri, 03/23/2007 - 08:26

Rick,

It is the builtin interface FastEthernet0/1. The Hateris it is connected to is a 10Mbps sync DIA over copper.

Thanks, Eric

Richard Burts Fri, 03/23/2007 - 08:56

Eric

If it is the builtin FastEthernet then the suggestion by Paolo to use:

interface fast0/1

speed 10

duplex full

should take care of the speed and duplex requirement. I have no idea what you can do about flow control. My suggestion would be to try to run it and see if it works - I suspect that it will work. But if something does not work, I have no idea what you can do about flow control on FastEthernet interfaces.

HTH

Rick

russelllv Fri, 03/23/2007 - 09:04

Thanks...

The Hateris is working now.

Are these interface options available in the SDM interface as well?

Eric

Richard Burts Fri, 03/23/2007 - 09:10

Eric

I do not like to use the SDM interface so I am not certain about it. But I would certainly assume that these are fairly basic functions and would guess that SDM would have them available.

HTH

Rick

Paolo Bevilacqua Fri, 03/23/2007 - 09:12

Ethernet, in a proprietary way, and gigabit in a more standard, are supposed to have flow control (pause frames). ASAIK no vendor actually ever used that.

Actions

This Discussion