Views
Helpful
Replies

How to In-Band Mgmt of Cisco Core 2 Edge

CKLSailing217
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I need help!

I have 3 Cisco 9216a switches connected together. Sw1 is the core on one ip subnet. Sw1 is connected via LW dark fiber 4 miles away on an isolated ip subnet. Sw3 is in the same building as Sw1, however it is also in an isolated ip subnet. I want to ISL all 3 switches and have multiple VSAN's span all 3 SAN Switches. Fabric Manager displays a red diagonal line across the two edge switches when I am connected via IP to the Mgmt0 of the Core Sw1. How can I manage all 3 switches using the in-bound configuration by setting up a Ip subnet on VSAN001? Is that possible and enable me to use Fabric Manager & Device Manager? Please illuminate.

Thank you

1 Reply 1

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

This is easily done. What you need to do is configure Internet Protocol over Fibre Channel (IPFC) on a management VSAN that is available on your switches.

The documentation for configuring this using fabric manager in sanos 3.x is right here

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/mds9000/3_0/fmcfg/part6/ipsvc.htm

The 10 second config summary is setup up a shared vsan (you can get more complicated with complex routing, but you don't need to) across you devices. Assign each device an ip from the same subnet on this vsan. On the switch that you do have mgm0 access put a route to that subnet.

Now all you have to do is tell your routers that the new subnet you created is available through mgmt0 on that first switch.

If you find this helpful, please give it a rating :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: