Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU load ona 4510

We have five Catalyst 4510R switches in our core network.

We run multi-area OSPF in the network. The OSPF root router (maybe not the right term but you get the picture) is working really hard, the CPU reaches 80 ? 90 % at times.

It is the following processes that use the CPU:

K2 CPUMan Review (Suggested is 30%, actual is 62%)

K2 AccelPacket Man: TX (Suggested is 10%, actual is 37%)

When applying the command - show platform cpu packet statistics ? it is the following I find suspicious:

L3 Fwd Low 1514772634 5592 5439 4259 4179

Does anyone have any ideas to what is going on or what to do about it?

The percentages mention above is critically high, aren?t they?

I would appreciate any help.

Johan

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Johan,

Can you check the logs and confirm if theer is a continuous flap also can you check in logs for particular mac address flapping between different ports?

Ankur

Ankur,

I have nothing in the logs that indicate flaps.The only thing in the log lately is:

%C4K_L2MAN-6-INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET: (Suppressed 5 times)Packet received with invalid source MAC address (00:00:00:00:00:00) on port Gi6/3 in vlan 1024

We probably don't log enough.

Johan

Hi Johan,

What is connected on 6/3? Is it possible for you to disconnect whatever is connected on 6/3 and see if CPU util goes down.

Ankur

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Johan,

Please use the link below for troubleshooting the issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00804cef15.shtml

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card