Views
Helpful
Replies

device categorisation - LMS2.6

donaghq_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I cannot get LMS to work as it is having a problem categorising devices. It can speak to the devices but for some reason it is not categorising. I can do a manual categorisation and this works - I am not going to do this for 800 devices. Do I have to edit the config somewhere to make this work?

Many thanks

Donagh

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as one of the installed applications (e.g. RME, DFM, etc.) is managing a device, the application will update DCR with the correct type. This means you must have at least a read-only SNMP community string configured in DCR for your devices.

By default, both DFM and RME will auto-manage every device in DCR, so you shouldn't need to configure anything to make this happen unless someone has disabled the auto-manage features. In that case, you will need to manually add your devices to these applications.

Hello J

Thanks for your reply.

By DCR I presume you mean common services. That is where I am adding my devices.

Could you point me to where the auto-manage feature can be disabled.

Many Thanks

Donagh

Yes, DCR is the Device Credential Repository or the central store for all devices for all applications. This is a component of Common Services.

RME's auto-manage feature can be found under RME > Admin > Device Mgmt > Device Management Settings.

DFM's auto-manage feature can be found under DFM > Device Management > Device Selector.

Campus Manager will automatically manage all devices in DCR unless you have applied a filter. Filter settings are found under Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Data Collection Filters.

I have looked up both RME settings and DFM. I am not using Campus Manager.

RME has a check beside 'Automatically Manage Devices from Credential Repository'

It has NO check beside 'Verify credentials while adding device'

DFM gives me the following notification when I click on Device Selector

'All devices in the DCR are in DFM'

When I click OK to that I get to the device selector settings screen where there is a check beside 'synchronize with DCR'

Considering I am trying to find the devices in the DCR should there be an auto-manage configuration tab anywhere in common services?

RME and DFM get their info from there don't they?

Thanks

Donagh

DCR does not communicate with the devices ever. The applications are responsible for pulling device information from DCR, querying the devices for information, then updating DCR with the correct device type.

So, if you are manually adding devices to DCR, you do NOT need to select a device type. Leaving it Unknown is fine. Assuming you specify the correct SNMP credentials for the device, a few seconds after finishing the device import wizard, one of the other applications will update DCR with the appropriate type.

ah therein lies my problem. None of the applications are updating the DCR with the device type and as you know if the device type does not update then I don't get any data! The SNMP credentials are definitely correct as I can add the devices manually and they report back to LMS. Could there be a bug? I am running the latest version of patches i.e. Common Services 3.0.5, RME 4.0.5 and DFM 2.0.8

Thanks

Donagh

I doubt this is a bug since the likelihood of the DCR sync being broken in one direction only is extremely low. What type of devices are you adding to DCR? What do you mean by, "they report back to LMS?"

What type of devices are you adding to DCR?

I am trying to add a mixture of cisco routers and switches - everything from 3524XLs to 6509s to 7206VXRs.

What do you mean by, "they report back to LMS?

I mean that when I add the devices manually and put them into a category data from the switch can be retrieved by ciscoworks i.e. it functions correctly.

Add a new device to DCR (leave the device type as unknown). Verify the SNMP credentials are correct, then go to RME > Admin > System Preferences > Loglevel Settings, and enable debug for ICServer. Then run an RME inventory collection job for this device. Attach the IC_Server.log.

I will have to get this for you on Monday. Thanks for all your help so far.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: