cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RMON thresholds on 3750 & 3500 switches

jrichterkessing
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to monitor all of my switch ports for input/output errors via RMON probes that will send a trap to my HP OpenView box if the threshold is reached. I'm having trouble with the MIB, according to Cisco doc, the switches should be using the IF-MIB, in which ifInErrors should be a valid OID, so my command is:

rmon alarm 2 ifInErrors.2 10 delta rising-threshold 5 1 falling-threshold 10000 owner config

This should monitor Fa0/1 on a 3548 switch....I receive the error:

Unknown object: ifInErrors.2

I can run a MIB browser and ifInErrors.<interface-index> shows up with the correct values for the input errors, but the switches will not take the command. When I telnet to the switch and run "show snmp mib | inc ifInError" nothing shows up (it does on the switches that work). I have also tried putting in the OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.2 with the same result.

My guess is that this is an IOS error since my switches with a newer IOS are working fine....what is throwing me is that I have Cacti and Cricket monitoring these switches and they are graphing the errors fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated....thanks.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not all MIB objects are compiled into IOS by their name (and it's inconsistent across versions of IOS). Therefore, you are safest just to use fully-qualified OIDs.

For ifInErrors, that is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.

Thanks....works great. I had tried using the fully qualified OID earlier, but I think I started it with a ".". I just ran it on a 3750 and the running config shows ifEntry.14.10101.

Thanks for the help!

Hi

Im also trying to monitor interface errors on my old 3548XL's with IOS ver. 12.0.(5)WC17.

I have tried browsing the MIB: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 which works fine, but when i try to create an rmon alarm with the following command:

rmon alarm 1 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 60 delta rising-threshold 1 2 falling-threshold 0 owner MySelf

I get the error: "Alarm Creation Failure"

Anybody able to guide me how to get my rmon alarm to work ?

You need to specify an ifIndex. For example:

rmon alarm 1 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1 60 delta rising-threshold 1 2 falling-threshold 0 owner MySelf

Thanks for quick reply jclarke!

That means I will needto make a rmon line for every interface I want to monitor ?

Isn't there a "catch all interfaces" statement ?

I want to get an alert fired if any of my switch interfaces starts to get interface errors..

You will need to create one alarm per interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: