Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic router traffic question

d8k2s9g2k
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an asa5510 as my default router. On the inside (100M) interface, I have defined one network that uses the default vlan 1 id and another network that uses vlan 10, both with named interfaces. The inside interface cat6 cable is physically connected to a Dell 2724 Layer-2 (1000M) switch which is vlan-aware.

My simple question is: if server A on vlan 1 does a file transfer to a server B on vlan 10, does the asa5510 get involved with this as a router to slow the traffic to 100M or is the router bypassed allowing the traffic to go directly to server A to B at gigabit speeds?

If the router does slow the traffic, can the asa5510 be upgraded with gigabit ports?

Thanks for any clarity....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you need to go from one vlan to another then you need to route between them and as your switch is only layer 2 aware then yes the ASA would need to be involved.

As for slowing down the traffic, well yes it will but it depends how much data you need to transfer and how quickly. 100M is still pretty fast.

If that isn't fast enough then you could look to upgrade your ASA. Attached is a link to the ASA model comparison sheet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

It may well be cheaper to investigate a layer 3 switch ie. 3560 or something like that but it depends on your network topology.

Cheapest option is to move one of the servers into the same vlan as the other but this might be easier said than done.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you need to go from one vlan to another then you need to route between them and as your switch is only layer 2 aware then yes the ASA would need to be involved.

As for slowing down the traffic, well yes it will but it depends how much data you need to transfer and how quickly. 100M is still pretty fast.

If that isn't fast enough then you could look to upgrade your ASA. Attached is a link to the ASA model comparison sheet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

It may well be cheaper to investigate a layer 3 switch ie. 3560 or something like that but it depends on your network topology.

Cheapest option is to move one of the servers into the same vlan as the other but this might be easier said than done.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: