cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

More than one VLAN on a Switch

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I need to have more than one VLAN UP on a Switch 2950. At present, it has VLAN 10 which is up with a device in it. When I create another VLAN12 and put 2 other ports in it, that?s ok but when I do show vlan12 it shows administratively down and will not allow me ping the gateway.

Please help.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That address is to manage the switch only and has nothing to do with using the address as a gateway for attached clients , all your routing is done on a layer 3 device , a 2950 is layer 2 only so it only needs one address to to manage it . You can create as many layer 2 vlans as you want but you would have to trunk the uplink to a layer 3 capable device to route between vlans .

Rajat Chauhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

All you need to do is, create the vlans, under interface vlan x, do "no shut", assign vlans to ports/hosts, and trunk the link towards gateway. You can create only a single SVI(vlan wth ip add) on 2950, but reachability would be for all vlans passing thru trunk.

Regards

Pls rate as helpful.

Rajat Chauhan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card