CCNA - details

Unanswered Question
Mar 24th, 2007

Hi - I'm taking the CCNA in a few weeks and I'm trying to get as much as info as possible from visiting websites, reading review, etc.

I gather that subnetting, OSI & ACLs are quite important.

However, I have a question concerning how much details will be asked on the exam:

1/ eg, in one of my study-books (McGraw Hill CCNA study guide 2003), is stated the following: "with the exeption of authentication, other PPP options are not discussed in this book". Does that mean that there will be no other questions concerning PPP?".

2/ Another: in one book, the DHCP load distribution option is discussed (type rotary), in another it isn't. Will this option be on the exam?

3/ In general, how much detail do I need to know of all topic discussed. A mide wide, a mile deep - or just half a mile deep? :)

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
christian.stock Sat, 03/24/2007 - 20:17

I would check out the Cisco Press CCNA Exam Guides. Those books are pretty true to the content and the exam objectives, as you would expect. I would not trust a reference from 2003. There are pretty much 2 decent CCNA books; the Sybex book by Todd Lammle and the Cisco Press book. Learn everything in those and you are a CCNA.

Danilo Dy Sun, 03/25/2007 - 01:25

I'm amazed that some people read too many books to prepare for the exam. Reading too many books makes you confused because every author have a different view of the exam and have a different approach although they have the same objective - sell the books. Unless it's a Microsoft exam, you really need to read books - but I know some people who pass some Cisco exam without reading books or read too little of it.

Use the following method;

1. Read the Vendor exam topics, print it and paste it in the wall where you will always see it :).

- While studying for it, cross every topic that you already have covered and familiar with.

2. Purchase or borrow from your local library the book that is popular among CCNA passers, i.e. Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA.

3. Use my method; I cover one chapter one night, then answer the questions for the chapter the next day. This is good practice to remember what you have studied the other day.

4. Flash Cards are useful, though I never use it :)

Actions

This Discussion