Views
Helpful
Replies

7912G & 7906G Answer Softkey

brugmanjorge
Level 1
Level 1

Folks

I have noticed the following behaviour in the said phones (7912 & 7906).

When making a phone call to those phones, I see that the softkey answer appears on the display but it is greyed out. The system is a CM 4.2(3)

I just want to know if this is normal or not.

My guess is that it is since that phone does only have speakers and not a microphone so, it doesn't make sense to press such a botton if you will have to lift the handset anyways. Maybe it is deactivated by default.

But, not sure, if anybody from Cisco could come back that would be great..

BTW, on the phone manual it is not explicit explained that. Thet talk about when you are already on a phone call, how to answer a new incoming one by pressing the answer softkey.

Thanks, Jorge

7 Replies 7

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

I believe that is because they do not have two way speaker phone, just monitor. So in essence, you wouldn't be 'answering'.

I'm not in the office, now, but you can try this. Pick up the handset of the 7912 and then press the end call softkey so the handset is still offhook but there is no dial tone.

Now try calling the phone again, and see if the answer softkey is available. My guess is that it would be, since you can actually answer it with the handset.

My guess.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jorge,

You are correct that this is working as expected :) The "Answer Softkey" does not work with the handset in the On-Hook position.I did find one document that shows supported softkeys for the 7912 (note that the Answer Softkey is not listed).

Soft Key Legend 7912

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_user_guide09186a00802d40e3.html#wp36350

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS. Like nicely noted by Lelio you can use the Answer Softkey if the phone is already Off-Hook (perhaps using a Headset)

Thanks for the reply.

I peeked the link and it is for a CME system. However, since the limitation is on the phone side, this must be the same.

I am looking for some official response since my customer may have questions about this, chiefly when the softkey is made available on the screen when an incoming calls is entering but you're not able to answer it.

Thanks again for answering back.

Jorge

Getting an 'official' answer off a forum might not be forthcoming.

You'd probably be better off opening a TAC case asking why you can't use the answer softkey on an incoming call.

They'll likely point you to similar documentation. But at least it will be official.

Your local account team might be able to help as well.

The reason why you have this behaviour is the following:

Like the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7905G, the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7906G does not include hands-free speakerphone and headset connectivity. The Cisco Unified IP Phone 7906G supports monitor (one-way audio through the chassis speaker) and Group Listen (European-style speakerphone using the handset and the chassis speaker.)

So this is a normal behaviour of the phones.

For further information please visit the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item0900aecd8048f829.shtml

What you could do is remove the Answer softkey to avoid confussion with the users.

HTH

//Jorge

Thanks for the answers. I think that to get an official response either I contact the cisco office or open a case.

I still have to wait what the end-users have to say about it.

Regards, Jorge

Not sure why, but our implementation does not have the answer key on ring in with on-hook.

7912 5.00.00(041115A)

CallMAnager v4.1(3)sr4d

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: