Entry level Internship Cert question

Unanswered Question
Mar 25th, 2007

Hello,

I graduated College and decided I wanted pursue Cisco Certifications to learn; not so much for the designation. I wanted to be involved in networking so I spent over a year and a half and completed up to the Networking and design professional studying about 4-6 hours a day(some day 9 hours) and by the end making over 1000 pages of jot notes. I took up till the pro levels as the associate levels I found left me wanting more.

Now back to the present, I have been struggling to find a job and after searching the internet people like me who have no corp. experience (I do have home lab and used remote labs) are called paper certified.

Now when applying for jobs some people suggested not listing high level pro cert but list the associate level ones. Is this a good idea as there is an internship that requires a no cert. but wants the candidate to achieve associate level in networking and design by end of 12 month contract, I already made it to the pro level and dont want to be not considered because Im deemed over qualified. I really want a chance to prove myself I feel that once hired I can be a long term asset.

Well please provide input Im very excited for this position I found what Ive been hoping for with a big ISP. Thanks for any advice its much appreciated. My dream in 5 years time is to one day be a CCIE and helping other people on the Cisco forums but till then Ill keep trying to land that first lucrative opportunity.

Sincerely,

Steven Fo2

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
__TheCio__ Mon, 03/26/2007 - 18:53

I have met the requirements for the CCNP? and CCDP?. It was a lot of work but I did them for the long term.

haroon.shaikh Thu, 03/29/2007 - 15:53

Hi Steven,

Good to know that you are aiming really high.

I was like you a year ago, with CCNA and CCNP in my belt but with no prior experience in Networking industry, although I had some ISP Technical Support experience.

I searched for Job for 3 months and I had the same feedback, OVER QUALIFIED. But then one day I applied for 1st level Technical Helpdesk role in an ISP and looking at my qualifications they gave me a post of Network Engineer which they were planning to recruit after some months. Although they dont pay me a high salary like an experienced network engineer, but i definitely have more than a Technical Support Helpdesk person.

So, you see its a win-win for both of us. They got an engineer and I got my foot in the industry.

My advice would be to start looking for a food in the industry, once you get in, you will get a chance to demonstrate your abilities within that organization and a chance for promotion.

Not to mention my perk increments within 6 months of working....

Thanks and have a Good Luck,

* Please rate if it helps.

Actions

This Discussion