Views
Helpful
Replies

DECNet / Lat

jorgRamakers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to setup a new network with several vlans. On this network there are several decnet host seperated over different buildings. Is it possible to create a seperate vlan for this decnet traffic. Can we do it with the standard ios. Is our equipement suitable for this? We are planning to use Cat 6506 or 6509, 4506 and 3750 and 2960 switches.

Regards

Jorg

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jorg

If I understand correctly that you want to set up a single VLAN which will be in several buildings and to switch/bridge the decnet traffic rather than trying to route it, then the switches you mention should be able to do this. In many cases we might recommend that VLANs be localized and that a single VLAN not be in multiple separate buildings, but in your case it would seem to make sense. And if I have understood your requirements correctly then your equipment should support it because you would be talking about setting up a VLAN, assigning ports to that VLAN, and trunking the VLAN between buildings. These are functions that these switches do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks, that was also the setup i was thinking of.

Do you know if it is possible to create a protocol based vlan? Or is it only "statical" That the access port is configured as a member of the vlan?

Thanks

Jorg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card