Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay multiple subnets mapped to a DLCI

aravindhs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I have a basic question about FR mapping.

Consider the below example config.

interface Serial0

ip address 10.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame map ip 10.16.1.2 201 br

frame map ip 172.16.1.1 201 br

encapsulation frame-relay

There are two subnets mapped to a single DLCI 201. Assuming that this is on the central site router, is such a config capable of connecting two spokes to it over the same DLCI ? My idea is that, we would need two DLCIs, one for each spoke.

I feel the FR switch won't know which DLCIs to swap over to take the appropriate VC in order to reach the correct spoke.

Advices please ..

cheers

Arav

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arav

It is certainly possible to map several subnets to a single DLCI. But a single DLCI connects to a single remote location. So it is not possible to have a single DLCI connect a central site to 2 different remote sites. To connect to 2 different remote sites you would need 2 DLCIs at the central site.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arav

It is certainly possible to map several subnets to a single DLCI. But a single DLCI connects to a single remote location. So it is not possible to have a single DLCI connect a central site to 2 different remote sites. To connect to 2 different remote sites you would need 2 DLCIs at the central site.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

This is exactly what I wanted to clarify.

Thank you

Arav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: