Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 877 Routers

barnettmark
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently trying to configure an ADSL Cisco 877 series router.

I am trying to add an IP address to FastEhthernet 0 at interface level. Howvever I am getting the following error message:

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

Can anyone shed any light on this one.

Many Thanks

Mark

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

The port which you are trying to configure is a pure L2 port Switch ports which wont support having an L3 ip address assigned to it.

regds

Mark

Edwin is correct that the interface you are trying to use is a layer 2 switch port. It is associated with a layer 3 SVI or VLAN and it is the layer 3 interface where you configure the IP address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

achalante
Level 1
Level 1

The physical interfaces are L2 compliant and wont accept IP addresses. The option you have is to configure a Switched Virtual Interface (SVI), and add the particular interface to that vlan. Please find sample configs below;

#

conf t

int vlan 2

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

int f0

switchport access vlan 2

please rate if this helps. Thanks.

bporter78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mark,

What is it you are trying to do exactly? Is it purely to allow wired and wireless clients access through to the internet via dialer0?

If so use this setup to get yourself sorted, make changes where i have noted them :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card