Views
Helpful
Replies

fa 0/1 to be used as back up interface

parthibanp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to configure my 2nd ethernet inteface to be an backup interface for the primary one as a backuplink which should come up when the first link has some physical issues. Can i use backup interface command for this , what will be the ip needed to configure for the backup interface (ip unnumbered primary interface)

Thanks for any suggestions

4 Replies 4

ahmadabuzayyad
Level 1
Level 1

if you talking about switch it will be done by using etherchannel either layer 2 or 3

but if you work with router you can bridge the two interfaces.

rate if it is help you.

Hi

Iam talking about a router. I want to have one ethernet as a stand by for the other and start forwarding traffi when the first one fails.

Will bridging help in this case.

Thanks for your response

look in router you can't asign two interfaces with the same network if they work as layer 3 so by bridging them you just asign the configuration to the ogical interface created and the two phyiscal interfaces work as switch

Hi Parthi

You can check out the tracking feature available in the router to achieve your requirement here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008042fbeb.html

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card