cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Failover

bhansen70
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 T1's that are configured between 2 offices and would like to have this configured in a failover when the primary line drops. My primary T1 is a Microwave cicuit with line of site and my second T1 is a traditional circuit. Since the Microwave circuit does go up and down when the weather is bad i need to setup some kind of delay before failing over to the other circuit. Ideally i would like to have the failover wait for 2-3 minutes when the microwave circuit drops before failing over to my other T1. Will using routes with a higher metric perform this objective or do i need to be using someting like QoS to accomplish this task?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Did you try backup interface command and backup delay command to make sure that your secondary comes active once the primary fluctuates for the limited period of time mentioned in the backup delay command ?

regds

I have not tried using the backup delay but will give that a try. I will have both T1's active at all times but traffic is segemented on which T1 is being used. In other words my users will use the Microwave circuit when accessing the other office which does include my voice traffic a well. My SAP traffic will use T1 circuit 2 at all times as the default. In the event that either one of the T1's fail i would want the traffic to be sent over the other T1. The microwave does flutter so goes up and down for short time periods. This is why i would only want to have a delay on the microwave circuit.

Hi

In this case you need to tweak your traffic in a way that your Voice/Mission Critical applications choose Primary T1 for normal usage and should go via the microwave when the primary goes down.

You can make use of Policy based routing which will help you to define 2 different interfaces primary/secondary to achieve the same..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card