Replies

Failover and PIX.

johnleeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have basic question related to failover

of PIX. I know that when I want to do

PIX failover both devices should be the same related to HW. What on the other hand is better or more useful? Failover with Cisco Primary-Secondary cable or throught eth/fasteth. interfaces of PIX itself?

BR

jl

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If the firewalls are within 6 feet of each other then the serial cable is a better bet for non stateful failover. This is because the standby can detect if the primary has lost power which is not detectable using an ethernet cable so failover takes longer. Also if you use an ethernet cable the switch becomes a single point of failure.

If you want to do stateful failover you have to use an ethernet cable. However this does not stop you using the serial cable for non-stateful failover as well.

HTH

Jon

Hi,

so does it mean that I can use both together?

Thanks,

jl

Hi

yes you can. If you want stateful failover you have to use an ethernet cable, the serial cable will not do stateful failover. However you can use the serial cable for non-stateful failover and the ethernet cable for stateful failover.

We do this where i work all the time.

HTH

Jon

You can use both together. When PIX was new, some use both because they experience problem using the serial cable alone - but this time I don't see the problem using the serial alone.

Hi all,

thanks a lot for help and explanation.

Ill do it both.

BR

jl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card