Views
Helpful
Replies

Behaviour of LMS 2.5 User tracking acquisition

pcuervo123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

despite I run manually the acquisition, the field last seen doesn't update to reflect the last date of the acquisition (today). My newest hosts are dated back the 23rd of march. Maybe I forgot to configure something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Without the logs and more detailed device and topology information I cannot say what could be causing your UT problems.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It could be that UT acquisition is not running correctly, or that these end hosts are no longer on the network. You should enable vmpsadmin debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Campus Data Collection > Debugging Options, then run another full UT acquisition, and check the ut.log for errors.

Hi,

the symptoms are the following. LMS UTracking does't update the list of discovered hosts even launching the application manually. Field 'last seen' is 23 March which corresponds with the last time I rebooted LMS. It seems like UT stops working properly after there's some change in topology and never recover unless I restart it (not really sure). I have tried to summarize below what I think is the most meaningful information from the debugging.

09:51:07 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection...

09:51:11 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: Starting the message to serverstarted

09:51:11 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: sending object tonoc

09:51:11 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: Count is :9 and Status:true

Time base VMPSMajor has 4 major nodes and 3 minor traversals.

In classlist loader

09:51:11 main ani ERROR Transaction: addThread: Thread main is already associated with another transaction

In classlist loader processing sub classes updation done. In classlist loader completed

09:51:11 main ani ERROR Transaction: removeThread: Thread main is not associated with the transaction from which it is being removed

09:51:12 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection...

09:51:32 main ani WARNING C5KVlanPort: computing active vlans for Port....on device container....

UT Discovery Success

09:53:36 main ani VmpsAdminServiceModule: no file to import

09:53:36 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: sending object to2

09:53:36 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: Starting the message to server{SubnetRouterMap=HashMap(), SubnetRouterMap6=HashMap()}

09:53:36 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: sending object tonoc

This output doesn't help much in terns of figuring out why UT is not completing. The full log when the problem is happening may shed some more light on this problem. Is this on Windows or Solaris?

It's solaris 9. The full log is 179 pages long.

Then you should open a TAC service request to do further debugging. Off the top of my head, I know of know problems in LMS 2.6 that could account for UT acquisition failing after a Data Collection is run on Solaris.

The mine is 2.5 and I think the same happened in 2.2. Does this change something?

There were some SNMPv3 issues in LMS 2.5 that could account for UT lockups (if you are using SNMPv3). Of course, this would not of affected LMS 2.2. There's also the possibility that one device is causing UT to loop. Or that UT is somehow misconfigured.

You should check ANIServer.properties to make sure the following property values are set:

UTGetVlansOnUserPorts=1

UTGetVlansOnUserPortsIOS=1

Today UT has updated the 'last seen' field of many records but without information from the switch in any of them. Furthermore I have tried to remove old records using the Delete Interval form, and despite in the Campus Administration window it states that 0 host are currently in the database, when i open the report there are 2900.

I have just run again manually UT and despite Campus Administration window states that 2600 new were discovered, when I open the report none of them has been added. Curiously the old LMS 2.2 server that we were about to retire is discovering correctly. Some idea?

Without the logs and more detailed device and topology information I cannot say what could be causing your UT problems.

pcuervo123
Level 1
Level 1

I have solved the problem reiniting the ani DB issuing the following command.

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

Daemon Management needs to be down before using this command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: