cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Connectivty for Branch Offices

ArthurHawkins
Level 1
Level 1

I need a little help with figuring out what hardware I need to use. In a recent post I was referencing trying to get this to work with pix 501 boxes, but I haven't had much success.

I have three locations, Main office and 2 branch offices. Currently the branch offices are connected to the main office via 256k point-to-point T-1's utilizing a 1751 router with 1 WIC-T1 at each branch office and 1 1751 router with 2 WIC-T1 cards here at the main office.

In an effort to cut costs, we would like to switch those connections over to VPN circuits running across cable internet. The limitation with the cable internet is that I can only allow the VPN traffic to travel across these circuits, all "internet" traffic needs to come back here to the main office and out our main T-1 line that is running through a separate router.

Attempts to get all this routing taken care of with the PIX501 boxes haven't really been going very well and since I was planning on retiring the 1751's after the vpn tunnels were up and running anyway, I was wondering if I should just get the WIC-1ENET cards for the 1751's, update the IOS on them and use them for the VPN tunnels and routing and just drop the 501's.

Any suggestions?

1 Reply 1