Helpful
Replies

CME 4.0(0) one public extension answered by multiple operators

cco_heerema
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to get this situation to work :

Small office, operator is not always on the job, so when she is not able to answer the main number i would like to forward the main number to multipe users which need to have their phones ringing at te same time (so no hunt group)

How can i fix this with CME ?

I tried to callforward all calls when the operator is not available from the operator phone to an extension which i configured on all phones as a second line.

But i have some of these users who need to answer a second direct extension so i need this second line.

Is there any other way to make this work ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes as I was saying before the second call on ephone-dn 21 will ring only to the phone that has took the first.

Now that you got this on the right way would you consider rating useful posts?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, it's a shared ephone-dn with overlay buttons. Like;

ephone 1

button 1:10 2o11,20

ephone 2

button 1:15 2:20

basically you can have many ephone-dn even on a button less phone.

There is also call waiting 'c' overlay. All the details are in the command reference for the version of CME you are using.

Hope this helps, please rate all useful posts

I have looked and tried the overlay, but than i have to configure all the Ephone-dn with the main number and it will allways ring on all phones.

So than i will lose one 1 line on each phone on the main number ? And they will lose theire own extension. Or am i missing something here ?

What i would like is to have it ring only on the line group (this i found in the Call manager fundamentals ) or a huntgroup broadcast.

When the opperator is not on duty and the main number is manualy transferd to that line group / huntgroup broadcast.

Both functions i cannot find in CCME 4.0

I hope i explained myself a bit more clearly, as i find it quit difficult to give a good idea of the situation.

In normal words i would explain it like this :

Main number xxxx50 comes in at the operator phone with extension 50

The operator is quite often not at her desk, so she needs to transfer the main number xxxx50 to 4 other users who have all their own extensions, but when the a call comes in on xxxx50 all the 4 users need to have their phone ringing simultaniously.

when the operator is at her desk she removes the call forward (or whatever other function ) and she takes the xxxx50 calls, and when she is bussy i forward the calles to the other 4 users again.

That's it in a nutshel.

I shall give you my config as it is now, it does work but doing it the way i did i need to configure 2 lines on the phones of the 4 other users line 1 is their own extension , line 2 it a shared extension which the operater uses to forward her calls.

from my point of vieuw a line-group with a own extension whould be the sollution. Than all users have only their own extension and calls can be forwarded by the operator to that line group extension.

I need the second line for some of the 4 users as they have to anwer more than 2 direct extensions.

My phones are 18 7941G's and a 7961 with 7914 for the operator.

Thanks in advance !

badkarma
Level 1
Level 1

I have used shared line appearance before to accomplish this.

And how can i acomplish this ? In CCME i mean

A command line example would be much apriciated :-)

Maikel

Oh by the way i forgot to attach my config in last post .. here it is.

Hi,

I gave you above the commands needed. Things will end working as you described. What exactly is not clear to you ?

I'm not getting how to get this to work without adding a second line with the same extension as the operater phone extension.

(reception in my config )

And i also am not getting, the point how it works with the callforward option. As it seems to me that an overlay is active all the time, and i want it to activate or deactivate it manualy by the operator.

I'm sorry bothering you, it;s just quite complex for me.

(i've also added my config so you can check on how i make a workarround, but now i use both lines on my 7941G which is not the situation i would like if possible)

Hi, do not worry, it is not complicated. For the additional coverage, you configure a new ephone-dn and and a new number. This shared ephone-dn you will configure on the appropriate ephones, alone on a button, or in overlay with others ephone-dn.

When the receptionist wants to leave post, sets CFA to this new number, incoming calls will ring on all above said phones. Cancel CFA will return calls to his/her phone only.

Hope this heps, if so please rate post!

ok i understand you, but this is exact the situation i allready have, whithout the overlay, as i don't see the bennifit of it.

As you can see in my config i added :

ephone-dn 21

number 60

label 350 transfered

description 350 transfered

name 350 transfered

hold-alert 30 originator

This is extension number 60 which i have added on all the phones i which need to ring at once when the operaters sets the CFA (call forrward )

So all aditional phones have configured this extension on the second line :

ephone 8

device-security-mode none

mac-address 0019.E78E.F7CC

type 7941

button 1:18 2:21

ephone 10

mac-address 001A.6D70.C7AD

type 7941

button 1:13 2:21

etc etc.

This works, when the CFA is place all the other phones with button 2:21 configured ring.

But i loose than button 2

As i am a more a data engineer than a voice one, i would like to see it something like this :

Make a group extension 60 with members in it, and these members are the Ephone-dn of the first line configured on the phone ..

So i can use the second number to answer another incomming number. ( i need this as well )

That sounds so much more logical to me than the current sollotiun i am using right now.

But i guess that is the big difference between DATA and VOICE engineers :-), but i want to keep learning.

But IF this is not possible, i am bound to buy 7961's instead of 7941 to have more lines (buttons) i guess that would be the only sollution.

No is not said that you need to use six-buttons to do this, although they are nice to have. In fact, it should work even with buttonless phones.

Above I was suggesting overlay ephone-dn on a button, with the separator 'o' or 'c', and a comma-separated list of ephone-dn.

Have you read that part?

This is the link at the doc:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ad85a.html#wp2199867

No need to be apprehensive about all ipt stuff, as it is all quite simple once you get the twist.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Thank for your patience, but i'm still not quite getting it, and the problem is i have no way to "play" arround with it until the office is closed. As i cannot configure this without the phones being restated.

So please see if i get this right.

From my config

the operater phone is :

ephone-dn 11 dual-line

number 50 secondary 350

label Reception

description Reception

name Reception

call-forward busy 60

call-forward noan 60 timeout 25

hold-alert 30 originator

configured on :

ephone 16

mac-address 001B.2A20.A4EE

type 7961 addon 1 7914

button 1:11 2:21 7m2 8m5

button 9m6 10m7 11m8 12m9

button 13m13 14m14 15m15 16m16

button 17m17 18:18 19m23 20m19

If i want to do an overlay on the second button on the ephones :

ephone 10

ephone 8

ephone 13

ephone 15

ephone 17

Than i need to configure the ephone's above with

button 1:"own extenstion" 2o"own extenstion",11 ?

Is this the way to go ?

I do have fun of getting the twist of it, but i'm just not there yet, and rather have done this in a test lab, but don't have the refunds for that :(

Hi,

you're basically there, lack the definition of the new call coverage ephone-dn as I was saying before. In your example, this new ephone-dn (tag of your choice) will have number 60.

There is no need to repeat "own extension" on each button. Give it to the first button only.

Also, try to not mix extension number of different lengths (like numbers in ephone 11), altough not overlapping, are more difficult to administer and work with.

I know that maintaining voice and data networks can be hard. You need to go at strange hours to work on these, but hey this is the line of work we have chosen.

Restart a phone takes only 5 secs so it is not much of a problem trying thing of field if necessary.

now i'm lost as i get an error if i try to do an overlay with only one e phone ds

So frustrating, i am so close yet not seeing it.

But i have 60 as the call coverage ephone-dn :

ephone-dn 21

number 60

label 350 transfered

description 350 transfered

name 350 transfered

hold-alert 30 originator

So what to do now with the overlay button command for the phones i want to ring when a callforward is set to extension 60

Button 1:own extension 2o21

but when i do this i get the error, overlay must have at least 2 DNs.

And that's where i got lost i only want a ring on extension 60. What am i mising here ?

In this case, you are reserving button 2 to number 60, and it will be:

button 1:"own" 2:21

Now, there is one thing I didn't mentioned about shared extensions, and is explained also in the documentation. Once an ephone takes a call for a shared-dn, it actually "becomes" that dn and a further call be directed only to this phone (if configured as dual-line).

This is logic, because if the phones are in different rooms, users will have no way to know who is present to answer additional calls.

The consequence, it that the correct way to handle call coverage, is using hunt group with login/logout softbutton. That way, the system will always know who is present to take the call. Another recommendable technique is to use the auto-attendand (B-ACD) to provide call coverage on operator's absence, and is naturally combined with hunt-groups too.

However, if the above is not wanted, there is a workaround, configuring additional ephone-dn and chaining them with CFB. These will be no doubt set in overlay on a single button.

Mmmm i've to test that ..

BUT the good news is .. i finaly got it

I configured my own phone like this :

ephone 17

mac-address 001A.6D53.E8C0

type 7941

button 1023,21

No it shows my extension

Ephone-dn 23

but also ring on

Ephone-dn 21

And this is what i was looking for.

The only thing i'm not getting is that .. if i anwer a call for Ephone-dn 21 (the CFA extension ) that the next call to that extention only will come to me ? Is that correct ?

I will test this situation tonight .. but i'm glad i finaly got something of the overlay DN thing :-)

Thanks !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: