cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing vlans

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me if I have a layer 3 switch with 5 vlans on say 10.1.1.0/24 to 10.1.5.0/24 , they all route between each other on the switch. If I had a router with the ethernet port that plugs in the switch on a 10.1.6.1/16 address, would I need to put a port on the switch on a vlan in the same subnet as the router to see the router ?

3 Replies 3

rolandshum
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you'd create a VLAN on your switch for the 10.1.6.1 (I'm assuming the /16 was a type) interface on your router to connect to. You can also create a layer 3 interface on your switch on the 10.1.6.0/24 subnet to talk directly to the router.

I gather I would need a route on my switch to the router, and a route to the switch from the router for the five networks ?

Carl,

You can either connect to router to a L2 switch port and create an SVI for the vlan6. or Just create a L3 port on the switch with the same range IP and connect the router to it directly.

Yes you need routes on your router to rack all the other 5 vlans. There are 2 ways to it:

1 Run a routing protocol between the router and the L3 switch.

2. Use a deafult route on the switch towards the router and use static reverse routes on the router for all the vlans, like

ip route < mask>

ip route < mask>

ip route < mask>

.... and the same for every vlan.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card