cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan creation

Arvind kumar
Level 1
Level 1

I have two offices one in Class A IP addressing 10.200.X.X/ 255.255.0.0 & other office is using class B IP addressing 172.17.2.x/ 255.255.255.0. Can I use one 24 port switch and use 12 ports for office A & 12 ports for office B using VLANs

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arvind,

Yes you can do that using vlan. Vlans are basically break your bradcast domain and can logically segment you network.

You can create different vlans for your different subnets and for routing between subnets you need to have layer 3 device may be a router or layer 3 switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

can its possibe to create two different class IP addresses to be used to create VLAN on a single switch. And also what IP and subnet mask in each case I should give for example for VLAN5 for class A & VLAN10 for class B IP address

You haven't mentioned what kind of switch are we dealing with.

Will this switch be your L3 device ?

If so, yes - you can create a SVI (Switch Virtual Interface) in addition to the layer2 VLANs (VLAN5 and VLAN10, as you mentioned) and route between them.

You need to enable ip routing on the switch (if it's a L3 device) since it's disabled by default.

I have a L2 switch with fiber module & I want to trunk both Class A 10.200.x.x/16 & Class B 172.17.3.x/24 IP onto the fiber cable & connect to other building switch.Also If I use L3 switch can I enable intervlan routing between these Class A & Class B IPs.thanks

Hi Arvind,

Yes on your l2 switch you can define 2 vlans and configure your ports for those vlans.

Connect your machines on respective vlans and assign them 2 subnet.

You can configure your fiber interface as trunk and extend your vlans to your other building and in other building if you have layre 3 switch you can configure intervlan routing for these 2 vlans to cimmunicate between each other.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Also the two offices are at the same physical location which are connected with their own respective routers. I just wanted to use a 24 gigabit switch for both the offices which are on different Class A 10.200.X.X/ 255.255.0.0 & other office is using class B 172.17.3.x/255.255.255.0 IPs. both offices are connected to different Internet gateway & servers of their respective offices

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: