cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery on 3845 router

samir_s
Level 1
Level 1

I have router 3845 configured with "no service password recovery" which means service password recovery function disabled. How can I recover its password

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Samir,

There are only a few methods you can use to recover from a lost password, but all of them destroy the start-up configuration.

Routers that have nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) chips can be removed and reseated. The NVRAM is implemented with battery-backed up static RAM (SRAM). If you remove the SRAM, the contents of NVRAM are erased as well as the no service password-recovery configuration. Be sure to use proper anti-static procedures when you handle the NVRAM. Some of these routers are 3640 and 3660.

Other routers, such as the 1700, 2600, and 3620, use an electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM) in order to hold the configuration. The EEPROM does not erase when you remove it.

Another method is to reload or boot the router with console access, and press CTRL-BREAK within five to ten seconds of the Cisco IOS software image decompressing or roughly when the "Image text-base:... " part of the banner begins. You are then prompted to reset the router to factory default (erase start-up configuration

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Samir,

Ankur has pointed you in the right direction. But, you probably would need some documentation for the procedure. Here's one that might help!!

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00802a1e76.html

Good Luck!!

HTH

Sundar

Thanks for All of you

I did all what u said before and after your reply's without success to recover the password. are there any other solution or this router should returned back to Cisco?

Thanks

Hi Samir,

If you have already tried everything what is mentioned above and still not able to erase the configuration from NVRAM then I believe you know you the next step ... Back to Cisco

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card