cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding banner motd to PIX 5xx

dgalati000
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to add (the entire text) using banner motd in a PIX w/o having to do it line by line? Doesn't let me put the entire text string in (using start and stop char) like a router IOS does.

4 Replies 4

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

The banner command is available in configuration mode.

The banner command configures a banner to display for the option specified. The text string consists of all characters following the first whitespace (space) until the end of the line (carriage return or LF). Spaces in the text are preserved. However, tabs cannot be entered through the CLI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801727a3.html#wp1017196

Thanks, but the very next line states >>

Multiple lines in a banner are handled by entering a new banner command for each line you wish to add. Each line is then appended to the end of the existing banner. <<

Still, I am unclear as to whether the PIX can add MULTIPLE lines in one paste. I've tried it and it only lets me do one line of text at a time.

David

I am not quite clear what your issue is. The PIX achieves the same result of having a banner with multiple lines that is displayed, but it goes at it differently. In IOS you define a delimiter character and the banner starts at the beginning delimiter and continues to the next delimiter. So there is one banner command which may have several lines. In PIX you have multiple banner commands to have multiple lines in the banner.

So the specific answer to your specific question is that no the PIX can not generate a multiline banner with a single banner command. Is that a problem?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

yes, thats my point Rick. trying to shorten the work it takes to add each individual motd lines of text on the pix. If doesn't exist, thats ok too. thx.