Views
Helpful
Replies

learn Vlans from the core!

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts!

I will deploy a distribution switch(4507R).what is the Preferred way to let this switch learn about the vlans already created on the CORE,IS it Via put this switch as a vtp client to learn the vlans from the core than change its mode to vtp server

10xs

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ali,

Yes, configure the switch to be a VTP client in the same domain as the core switch. If there is a VTP password configured on the core then make sure the same password is configured on this switch.

Another thing to watch out for is the config revision #. If you don't want this switch to become the VTP server ever then ensure the config revision of this switch is lower than that of the core switch. If the revision # is higher than that of the core switch this switch would become a VTP server and can overwrite the vlan database on the care and this can result in serious problems. If the revision # is high on this switch set the switch to be part of a different non-existent VTP domain name and change it to your current VTP domain name and the config revision should reset to 0 (or) if needed, perform a write erase and put the config in completely.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

Sundar,

write erase won't affect VTP, you need to delete flash:vlan.dat

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Sundar's suggestion, make sure you have the ports as trunks in order for the VTP updates to pass thru.

True, oversight on my part. Thanks for pointing it out Edison:)

But, changing the VTP to a different bogus domain and restoring it should reset the revision #.

Regards,

Sundar

No debate on that subject from me Sundar :)

I actually integrate switches in transparent mode and then change it to server once I see everything is stable.

7 Replies 7

Ali,

Yes, configure the switch to be a VTP client in the same domain as the core switch. If there is a VTP password configured on the core then make sure the same password is configured on this switch.

Another thing to watch out for is the config revision #. If you don't want this switch to become the VTP server ever then ensure the config revision of this switch is lower than that of the core switch. If the revision # is higher than that of the core switch this switch would become a VTP server and can overwrite the vlan database on the care and this can result in serious problems. If the revision # is high on this switch set the switch to be part of a different non-existent VTP domain name and change it to your current VTP domain name and the config revision should reset to 0 (or) if needed, perform a write erase and put the config in completely.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

write erase won't affect VTP, you need to delete flash:vlan.dat

True, oversight on my part. Thanks for pointing it out Edison:)

But, changing the VTP to a different bogus domain and restoring it should reset the revision #.

Regards,

Sundar

No debate on that subject from me Sundar :)

I actually integrate switches in transparent mode and then change it to server once I see everything is stable.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Sundar's suggestion, make sure you have the ports as trunks in order for the VTP updates to pass thru.

Hello agian!

i have just 1 question?

is the config like this:

vtp domain x

vtp mode client

than

vtp domain x

vtp mode Server

10xs

That's right!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card