Views
Helpful
Replies

Loss of default gateway -> to auto-shutdown radio

fribert000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need a solution where, if an access point looses its connection to its default gateway, that it automatically shuts the radio down. And when the default gateway is again available, the radio is automatically turned on again. By connection, I do not just mean that the AP FastEthernet port link status changes.

Some kind of functionality like the 'track rtr reachability' that probes the default gateway, and takes action if the default gateway cannot be reached.

How to, if at all possible...

Problem is that wireless equipment will connect to the access point if the radio is up but the access point does not have access to its default gateway (for some error reason other than the local Ethernet link, but also that...)

Thanks

Johnny

2 Replies 2

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Actually, there is a command called "station-role root fallback shutdown" radio interface configuration command which specifies that the access point should shutdown when the primary Ethernet interface is not functional. I have used in 1300 Aironet AP/bridge. I think this command is your solution.

Hi,

unfortunately that does not solve this problem:

Router (def. gw for WAP)

!

Switch 1

!

Switch 2

!

Wireless Access Point (WAP)

If switch 1 is down or if the link from switch 1 to the router is down, then the WAP radio will still be up. I need for it to handle a loss to its default gateway, not just its local ethernet wire.

Tx

Johnny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: