cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP

sbacalanmo
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone recommend a LAN card that can access multiple vlan through VTP at once. I have a cisco 2950 that has multiple Vlans and a VTP port i also have a server, i want all vlans to connect to the server. Can anyone Recommend a LAN Card. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

VTP is a cisco propritory protocol so no LAN card will work for that and VLANs are not required to be propogated to servers.

I believe your requirement is to configure a port as a trunk port so that your server can access all vlans. If yes then you need to check with LAN card vendor to provide you a card which support and understand dot1q tag.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

VTP is a cisco propritory protocol so no LAN card will work for that and VLANs are not required to be propogated to servers.

I believe your requirement is to configure a port as a trunk port so that your server can access all vlans. If yes then you need to check with LAN card vendor to provide you a card which support and understand dot1q tag.

HTH

Ankur

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need a LAN card with 802.1q support over it to trunk to the switch. You will not get VTP feature on the NIC as it is proprietry to Cisco.

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card