How can I allow the vsan 1 trunking

Answered Question

Dear All,

I'm worrying about the vsan 1 isolation during enabling ISL link.

Each switch has vsan 1 configuration, and I will do following prcedures:

1. suspend one of vsan 1

2. enable ISL link

Will this situation cause vsan isolatoin?

Or

It will establish the 2 switched in a fabric?

Thanks for any prompt,

Dennis

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by stephen2615 about 9 years 8 months ago

I had a bit of unnecessary grief with this also. It looks wierd because I had no zoneset in VSAN0001 and it is best practice not to use VSAN0001 for production.

I used VSAN0001 to link all our switches into one fabric so I had a single management VSAN. Every time I added a new switch, VSAN0001 had a fit for a few moments but as long as I had one port in the VSAN enabled, it all came good.

The important thing that I learnt was to make sure the principal switch would remain the principal switch and the Domain IDs for each VSAN (including 0001) were unique. I found that one of my new switches had the same Domain ID as my principal switches VSAN0001 Domian ID. Once I fixed that, everything went ok.

As VSAN0001 did not have any production data in it, nothing bothered the production VSAN's.

Clear as mud eh?

Stephen

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
stephen2615 Fri, 03/30/2007 - 02:13

I had a bit of unnecessary grief with this also. It looks wierd because I had no zoneset in VSAN0001 and it is best practice not to use VSAN0001 for production.

I used VSAN0001 to link all our switches into one fabric so I had a single management VSAN. Every time I added a new switch, VSAN0001 had a fit for a few moments but as long as I had one port in the VSAN enabled, it all came good.

The important thing that I learnt was to make sure the principal switch would remain the principal switch and the Domain IDs for each VSAN (including 0001) were unique. I found that one of my new switches had the same Domain ID as my principal switches VSAN0001 Domian ID. Once I fixed that, everything went ok.

As VSAN0001 did not have any production data in it, nothing bothered the production VSAN's.

Clear as mud eh?

Stephen

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking