Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I allow the vsan 1 trunking

dennis.dai
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm worrying about the vsan 1 isolation during enabling ISL link.

Each switch has vsan 1 configuration, and I will do following prcedures:

1. suspend one of vsan 1

2. enable ISL link

Will this situation cause vsan isolatoin?

Or

It will establish the 2 switched in a fabric?

Thanks for any prompt,

Dennis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had a bit of unnecessary grief with this also. It looks wierd because I had no zoneset in VSAN0001 and it is best practice not to use VSAN0001 for production.

I used VSAN0001 to link all our switches into one fabric so I had a single management VSAN. Every time I added a new switch, VSAN0001 had a fit for a few moments but as long as I had one port in the VSAN enabled, it all came good.

The important thing that I learnt was to make sure the principal switch would remain the principal switch and the Domain IDs for each VSAN (including 0001) were unique. I found that one of my new switches had the same Domain ID as my principal switches VSAN0001 Domian ID. Once I fixed that, everything went ok.

As VSAN0001 did not have any production data in it, nothing bothered the production VSAN's.

Clear as mud eh?

Stephen

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dennis.dai
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched the doc, and found.

"If there is no zoneset in vsan1 in the new switch, then the old switch vsan1 zoneset will be in the new switch as well."

So I delete the zoneset of vsan 1 on non-production switch, they will merge the active configuration, right?

Thanks,

Dennis

I had a bit of unnecessary grief with this also. It looks wierd because I had no zoneset in VSAN0001 and it is best practice not to use VSAN0001 for production.

I used VSAN0001 to link all our switches into one fabric so I had a single management VSAN. Every time I added a new switch, VSAN0001 had a fit for a few moments but as long as I had one port in the VSAN enabled, it all came good.

The important thing that I learnt was to make sure the principal switch would remain the principal switch and the Domain IDs for each VSAN (including 0001) were unique. I found that one of my new switches had the same Domain ID as my principal switches VSAN0001 Domian ID. Once I fixed that, everything went ok.

As VSAN0001 did not have any production data in it, nothing bothered the production VSAN's.

Clear as mud eh?

Stephen

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your good information,

Dennis