i have CORE Switch;the VTP Domain Info is:

CORE

VTP Domain XYZ

VTP MODE SERVER

Now i want to install new Distribution;Distribution VTP info Must be:

DS1

VTP Domain AAA

VTP Mode Server

but i need DS1 To learn about all vlan's already created onto the core.

what am think to do is:

First instal DS1 As:

vtp domain XYZ

VTP Mode client

in this action the new DS1 Learned all vlans on the core

than:

change the DS1 VTP Domain to AAA

DS1

VTP Domain AAA

VTP Mode server

1)is this a good thought?

2)is this thought avoid the Problem of the High revision?

ur suggestion its very much appreciated

regards

ALI

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ali,

Why do you want to have diffrent VTP domains at Core and Distribution. It should be same across the network if you are running the same vlans.

My thougths on this:

1. Before connecting the DS1 switch to core switch, change the VTP domain name to some bogus name and then change it to XYZ. This will reset the revision number to zero. You can also change the VTP mode to transparent and then back to server.

2. As I said in the point 1, do this before you connect the switch to the core switch.

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

Hi Ali,

As per me you should change the VTP mode to transparent and then back to server and then again confirm the config revision number before adding this switch into the network.

This will make your config revision number 0 on DS1 switch.

Once you are sure config is back to 0 on your new switch then place that switch into the network with same domain name and it will get all vlan information from your core switch which has higher revision number.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ali,

1. Yes you are right, i meant that change it to some bogus name and then change it back to XYZ and then check the revision number on the switch before connecting it to the Core switch.

2.Changing the switch to client mode and back to server mode doesnot reset the revision number. It only gets reset by changing it to transparent mode and back to server.

You can use either of the above mentioned step.

-amit singh

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ali,

Why do you want to have diffrent VTP domains at Core and Distribution. It should be same across the network if you are running the same vlans.

My thougths on this:

1. Before connecting the DS1 switch to core switch, change the VTP domain name to some bogus name and then change it to XYZ. This will reset the revision number to zero. You can also change the VTP mode to transparent and then back to server.

2. As I said in the point 1, do this before you connect the switch to the core switch.

HTH,

-amit singh

HI amit!

if i change the name of the VTP Domain to bogus name how this DS1 CAN Lean about the vlans on the core switch!

did y mean that:

1)change the vtp domain to bogus name than quickly IN THE SAME SECONDE change it to VTP Domain XYZ?

2)WHy y prefere Transparent mode over the client Mode?

10xs Amit

Hi Ali,

1. Yes you are right, i meant that change it to some bogus name and then change it back to XYZ and then check the revision number on the switch before connecting it to the Core switch.

2.Changing the switch to client mode and back to server mode doesnot reset the revision number. It only gets reset by changing it to transparent mode and back to server.

You can use either of the above mentioned step.

-amit singh

Hi Ali,

As per me you should change the VTP mode to transparent and then back to server and then again confirm the config revision number before adding this switch into the network.

This will make your config revision number 0 on DS1 switch.

Once you are sure config is back to 0 on your new switch then place that switch into the network with same domain name and it will get all vlan information from your core switch which has higher revision number.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur!

Hi Amit!

Thanks a lot for ur great Reply & explanation.

Freinds am working with cisco product(4507,6509 sup2;6509 720;acs 3.0;7200 routers; without any Cisco Cert;when i need some help i use this great forun & the great experts help me.

regards

Ali

No issues buddy, we will be help you with all these products. You are always welcome on this forum with your queries.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: