cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Pruning possibility

network_team
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I understand how Pruning works but not sure if it is the correct method to implement in my enviroment. I have two core switches as VTP servers and 50 access switches as clients. I have 50 different vlans and some are as simply as 16 floor is the 16 vlan. but lets say on the 20 floor i have vlan 20 and 48,33 and 24. If i enable pruning and lets say the client who logs into vlan 48 on the 20th floor logs off one evening and comes in the morning switches on is machine will it take a longer time to response to the request of allow that vlan access back into the 20th floor switch. I am currently running STP and clients are complianing of spradic sloness on the network was wondering if pruning wouild help but maybe not for my enviorment as they aslo complain about slow logins for 3 mins and the next day it wouild be 10 seconds. Do you think i should remove vlans manually from switches?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you sure the VLAN stops forwarding just because an user logged off ?

You can verify the forwarding of VLANs with the show int trunk output while no-one is using the trouble VLAN.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VTP prunning will only come into the picture, when you dont have even a single host in a vlan at any particualr time. At that point of time any unneccessary broadcast traffic will not be sent over the trunk link.

When the user comes next day and starts working the unicast vlan traffic will resume immediately. I think it nothing has to do with Vlan prunning. It is moreover seems to be some network related issue.Try looking for some troubleshooting for the switch where the user is facing the problem.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi i have not implemented this yet i was just wondering if when the users come int the next day as to wheather they will suffer in delay logining as they are the only vlan connected to the switch and it has been pruned. If the vlan would be active immediately when client tries to log in then i dont think i will have a problem. Thanks

how do i config automatic pruning to decide what vlans to allow ? what other conciderations must i make to vtp to allow pruning.

* I have 4 vtp servers 2 at the client site and 2 at the datacenter were i have a LES line connection to the two buildings

how do i config automatic pruning to decide what vlans to allow ? what other conciderations must i make to vtp to allow pruning.

* I have 4 vtp servers 2 at the client site and 2 at the datacenter were i have a LES line connection to the two buildings

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: