cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP over MPLS

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 7200 at each remote site. Id like to do VTP over my MPLS circuits. Is this possible with the 7200? Thanks.

11 Replies 11

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to use VTP if you use EoMPLS port mode, obviously.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I spoke with PDI yesterday. They told me it was not possible with the 7200. They said the MPLS had to come in on a 6500 or a 7600 for it to work. Any thoughts?

Uhmm, good question. I haven't actually tested it myself but given that in port mode all received frames from one port will be sent through the pseudowire and then to the port attached to the other PE, regardless of what they are, I would think that it would be possible to get VTP to work just the same CDP should also work.

I will check and get back to you,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks, I have nothing in a lab to try it on at the moment. Ill be looking for your response.

It should work with layer 2 protocol tunneling (l2pt). But I am not sure whether 7200 supports it or not.

Regards,

Silju

hi guys,,

just a thought in my mind. i guess 7200 routers support Eompls. coz in ccie lab scenario's by iementor i have seen eompls running on 7200 routers. havent tested it yet so cant say. what u guys reckon

John,

I just got a confirmation. The 7200 doesn't have the same behavior as you would get on a 7600 as it is not a switch and therefore it doesn't get involved in the STP and other BPDU processing. These BPDUs are transparently tunneled over the PW just as any other data.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

does the 7200 support EoMPLS or "only" VLANoMPLS?

Afaik you must create a subinterface for each VLAN including VLAN 1 (native VLAN) and xconnect each of them separately. So I am not sure, if there would be any benefit of VTP combined with this restriction.

Regards, Martin

Martin,

The 7200 supports both port and vlan mode.

You can apply the xconnect statement on the subinterface (vlan mode) or on the main interface (port mode).

But let says you wanted to tunnel your trunk through the MPLS cloud, then you would configure the xconnect statement on the main interface (port mode). This would cause the 7200 to take every frames coming from the main interface (connected to a trunk on the facing switch) and just forward them through the PW. The egress PE would then take all the received frames and forward them to the attachment circuit (connected to another switch). In such a case, VTP does make sense.

VTP would obviously make no sense in vlan mode.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

I seem to have missed the port mode feature on the 7200. Do you have a minimum IOS version for it? I tried a 12.4T and it was not there.

Regards, Martin

Martin,

According to the Cisco Feature Navigator, port mode has been integrated in 12.4(11)T1. It also been present in 12.0S since 12.0(25)S.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: