Views
Helpful
Replies

Not getting MAC-Address

pselva2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have to find IP address of printer which is connected in fa0/6 port in Cisco 2950G

I tried using following command

switch> sh mac-address int fa0/4

but result shows blank

Mac Address Table

------------------------------------------

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports

---- ----------- ---- ----

I have to find mac address and IP Address

could any help me to solve this

thanks

selva

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

log onto the printer server or a client that can print to the printer and ping it. then check the arp table.

arp -a or /proc/net/arp

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You mentioned f0/6 in the heading and the output display is looking for f0/4.

Which port is it ?

Hi

Iam sorry it is fa0/4

thanks

The port shows up/up ? The printer seems not to be ARPng.

Yes

but printer is working,users able to take print out, till now no one made compliant.

but iam able to get all mac id from other ports.could you tell me how to resolve this

Yes

but printer is working,users able to take print out, till now no one made compliant.

but iam able to get all mac id from other ports.could you tell me how to resolve this

Get the printer's mac address from an arp cache or a config page then issue the command

sh mac-address-table | include xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

from where you want me try,from core switch or in this particular switch, if core switch I tried, but Iam not able to find.

if its edge switch, it shows only management vlan ip's

log onto the printer server or a client that can print to the printer and ping it. then check the arp table.

arp -a or /proc/net/arp

Hi

Thanks it is working well

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

do you have a dns name for the printer? if people can print to it there has to be some sort of dns name somewhere or IP addresses entered into the print servers port somewhere. i would try to find that then ping that printer and check arp. also check the docs on the printer and print a test page, that will give you the ip address of the machine and print the config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco