Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a switch port to be a member of more than one Vlan

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can I configure a single physical port in the Switch to be part of more than one Vlan . If so, what is the command?.

For example port number 2/5 want to be member of Vlan 2 and 3. Pls note that I don't want to configure a Trunk port.

Thanks

Raju

3 Replies 3

owaisberg
Level 1
Level 1

You cannot, port can accept membership for

one VLAN only.

HTH,

OW

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Raju,

Long time back in some old switch there was a feature for multivlan support on siggle interface which is been removed now and in all current model one switchpotr can only be a member of one data vlan.

Though you can have voice vlan and one access vlan configured on single port.

I understand you do not want a trunk port but just to share if you configure trunk also you can allow only these 2 vlans to pass through that trunk.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

sachin
Level 1
Level 1

Actually to answer your question, we should understand the reuqirement-

1) If you need multiple VLANs to be assign to the port as single point of time then it is not supported and not expected also. Only way is to have multiple VLAN on a port is - you create a trunk port but in that case your machine (NIC card ) should support trunking feature.

But if you are looking something like port need to be in different VLAN at different point of time then Yes you have option of dynamic VLAN, which assigne port to a particular VLAN depending on MAC address.

Lastly you can have two VLANs on a port possible -- that is Voice VLAN and other DATA VLAN.

Thanks,

Sachin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card