Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phones not shown on topology map

kanokpan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using LMS 2.6 and can discover call manager and ip phones. Call manager appear green in topology map but none of ip phones shown in the map. I can see ip phones under User tracking. Please help, how can I make ip phones appear on the map

Thanks,

Regards,

Jan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IP Phones should never be visibile on the Topology Map. An exception to this can occur if a new phone comes out that is not supported by Campus. This would result in the phone showing up as a red question mark on the map.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

kyawzawhtut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jan

I don't think you can see IP Phones on the map as IP phone is treated like PC as well which is not shown on the map.

Cheers

Kyaw

Correct. Cisco IP phones have no SNMP stack, and thus will not appear on the Topology Map. Instead, they will show as both end hosts and IP phones in User Tracking.

Thank you for your explanation. But my customer claim that he used to see ip phones on the map in the old version(LMS 2.2). He just upgrade from LMS 2.2 to 2.6 and complain about missing dashboard on LMS 2.6. Please confirm that ip phones does not shown on the map in LMS2.2 as well.

Thanks,

Regards,

Jan.

IP Phones should never be visibile on the Topology Map. An exception to this can occur if a new phone comes out that is not supported by Campus. This would result in the phone showing up as a red question mark on the map.

Thank you for your clearify.

Regards,

Jan

One more question, I think that CDP use to discover and draw the map. And since ip phone have CDP so it should be on the map as well. I'm confuse what SNMP and CDP take part in campus manager and topology service, please explain.

Thank you,

Regards,

jan.

I think this could help, its from another thread:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.1dddb1b3/16#selected_message

DISCOVERY:

LMS process that needs a minimum of one start device (seed) and the snmp RO communities;

it tries to access a device via snmp;

it roams around in your networks gathering device information of all devices it can find through CDP

it DOES NOT DRAW your topology!!

DCR - Device Credential Repository

if a device is discovered by campus AND SNMP reachable it will be automatically added to DCR

Data Collection:

LMS process that collects detailed Device Information with SNMP;

ONLY with THIS information ANI server can map your network and you will see devices in your topology (e.g 'Layer 2 view', or 'unconnected devices')

to add interconnection between devices in topology; BOTH sides of a link must be verified by the process ( both devices must be snmp RO accessable for the process )

and for completeness:

if campus can classify the sysObjectId he knows what to do with it; e.g. for known IP Phones it is: don't show on the map

for unknown Cisco sysObjectId he will show a box with a question mark

IP phones will never appear on the Topology Map because they are not SNMP-reachable. All IP currently supported IP phones are therefore exlcuded in the NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIDevice.properties file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: