cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Printer Problems

a17j13j05
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing a recurring problem at my site and have no clue how to solve it.

When connecting a networkable printer, it takes long periods of time before the printer will start talking to the network. More specifically, the printer gets connected link and activity lights on and blinking. The switch interface is configured properly. When I do a "show mac-address dynamic" it shows the correct MAC address. Under the protocols section it lists just "other" and until it lists "ip" I am unable to talk to the printer. Sometimes it may take hours before it starts talking. I believe this is switch related, because it happens with both different makes and models of printers. I am clueless at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

James,

When replacing network printers, and using the same IP address, you often need to log into the router on the subnet (default gateway), and clear arp.

ARP cache entry timeout is 4 hours, and printers often just sit and wait for someone to talk to them, so the router keeps sending to the old mac address.

Please rate hlepful posts.

Dave

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Can u verify if spanning-tree portfast is configured on the interface.

Thanks

Mahmood

Portfast is disabled.

Hi

canu enable it and check.

Thanks

Mahmood

I will give that a try and post my results.

Thanks

Andy

situwayne
Level 1
Level 1

what kind of switch and network printers?

Catalyst 2900's, 4000's, and 4500's.

HP and Lexmark printers of various models.

you listed several models of switches and print servers. I assume this problem is consistant across these switches?

1. try enable spantree portfast as suggested.

2. do you see errors on the switch interface? crc, runts, collison, etc?

3. once the print server is connected, can you ping it from its default gateway (router)? can you ping it from another vlan?

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

enable spanning-tree portfast on the interface as suggested below.

This will cut the spanning-tree negotiation period down to about 15 seconds versus 45 or so.

Also try hard setting speed/duplex for both the port and printer. There is no duplex negotiation process in 10/100 Ethernet. Older printers can be especially sensitive to this, and I've seen newer NICs that will actually pass no traffic if the duplex is mismatched between the card and switch.

a17j13j05
Level 1
Level 1

I have enabled portfast as recommended, checked for errors, and it still is not talking. I have tried pinging it from the gateway with no results. I haved checked my DNS and WINS servers for any entries and they show none. I am at a loss for what to do.

Hi,

I have similar problem before from a large corporation. What I did is separate the networked printers vlan from the other vlans (i.e. users, servers, wireless, etc..), that means dedicate one network for networked printers. For some reason, broadcast storm from other vlans affect networked printers. In my case however, is virus storm from user vlan affects the networked printers.

Try enabling vtp pruning for a while, it may help. Also, upgrade your networked printers NIC firmware.

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

James,

When replacing network printers, and using the same IP address, you often need to log into the router on the subnet (default gateway), and clear arp.

ARP cache entry timeout is 4 hours, and printers often just sit and wait for someone to talk to them, so the router keeps sending to the old mac address.

Please rate hlepful posts.

Dave

Thanks, I'll give that a try and will post my results.

When you have needed the best technical solution of all the problem that you can face in your device then you have needed one expert that can solve all of your problems when you have also face Printer in Error state while you can connect your printer to your network then you can take the advice of an expert.

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

Hi James,

If the interface Speed and Duplex is in Auto Mode, what it will learn?

100Full, 100Half, 10Full, 10Half ?

If it doesn't learn 100Full, force it to what it learned.

The interface is getting any kind of Errors?

Past the "show interface Interface Number", to us.

Teorically, the spanning-tree portfast, will not result cause u said, "Sometimes it may take hours before it starts talking".

Best Regards,

Petr?nio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: