cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping problem with avaya VoIP phones

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

whenever i try to ping a avaya voip phone from a cisco device, i do not get a continuous response.

MS_VOICE_MEX_R01#ping 172.31.2.52 repeat 100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.31.2.52, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!

!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!!.!

Success rate is 67 percent (67/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms

MS_VOICE_MEX_R01#

But when i try to ping the same from a desktop i do get a continuous response.

Can anybody tell me the reason for this

Narayan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Avaya IP Telephones implement an ICMP rate limiter. The Microsoft ping.exe command sends pings 1/second avoiding the rate limit. A Cisco 3825 sends pings at about 1/ms easily tiggering the rate limit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mparekh
Level 3
Level 3

Its funny while back my friend had the same issue, i asked him if he ever found a reason so he sent me this link:

http://www.avayausers.com/showthread.php?threadid=1906

Not sure wether its true or not but thought it was interesting. Maybe a Avaya rep has a better answer.

Milan,

I don't think this is to prevent the DOS attack cos i am always able to ping the phone from any desktop continuously.

It only shows this absurd behaviour when i try to ping from a network device like a router/switch

Narayan

Avaya IP Telephones implement an ICMP rate limiter. The Microsoft ping.exe command sends pings 1/second avoiding the rate limit. A Cisco 3825 sends pings at about 1/ms easily tiggering the rate limit.

Thanks for the info..

Is this documented somewhere though

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: